JANE: Street Shoot

This post is not just about the set of photos I took but to let others know the importance of practicing your craft every single day.

Whazzup Everybody! It's been a while since I posted a set of portraits here. The last time was last February? OMGEEEE it's been more than a month since my last shoot. 

Anyways, Jane who is a good friend, as well as a co-worker and I, decided to set a photo session last April 1, 2018, together with Cyrus Paul. I was excited about this shoot because it's been a while since I did a photo session, plus am gonna test my new and very cheap lens' (Yongnou 50mm 1.8 ) performance.

I used my old buddy Nikon D90 + the Yongnuo 50mm 1.8 lens. I love my D90 than other Nikon's D-series. I don't know why but it's the feeling when I am using it. 



I noticed and observed how I handled the photo session and I found out that I don't know how to be a photographer. Hahaha! What I mean is, I don't know how to direct my muse (I prefer using the term "muse" than "subject"), I don't know how to communicate what's in my mind, or how to make my muse relax and comfy during the shoot. . . I felt awkward when it comes to directing my muse. I was like a beginner again.


I have lots of ideas in my mind during that day but because I've been on hiatus in portrait photography, I lost the most important aspect of being a portrait photographer, to COMMUNICATE WELL with your muse. I lost what I envisioned for my photographs because I do not know how to communicate well.


Writing this post made me realize the truth about the Parable of the Talents: “For to everyone who has, more will be given and he will grow rich; but from the one who has not, even what he has will be taken away.”  Argh!, Please don't take away my skills... So, KEEP SHOOTING, MK!



Thanks to Jane, she was so considerate and did her thing professionally. 



The struggle is real when you let your skills get rusted. You ain't gonna pull it to a hundred percent when you're given the chance to use it. 





To you out there who loves photography, take time to practice a lot, then practice a perfect practice again and again. 

As for my experience with my very cheap lens, Yongnuo 50mm 1.8, I found out that it's a sharp lens, can focus faster than my Nikkor 50mm 1.8, just a little bit. It produces great bokeh too, but when I set my focus on the very edge of my viewfinder's focus point, my camera won't take sharp images even if it focused.


But, all in all, the lens is great. Just don't put your focus at the very both ends of your viewfinder.




2 coment�rios:

Unknown said...

Marion, I enjoy the most random shot in your group, the best. She is looking down at her phone, oblivious to everything but her phone. If I could make one suggestion, I would offer you a posed shot looking downward of her face from slightly over head and her eyes looking upward with head slightly tilted down. Try this pose next time and see how it works out. You need to capture that "look" or subjects attitude. You might know what I'm referring to, I hope. I did portrait work for 5 years..mainly newborn. You might guess those subjects are not totally giving!! LOL..but practice generates ability and development of the eye in photography. I hope you read my thoughts as helpful in nature. Just some of my thoughts with the group of photos above here.

Marionsden said...

Hello @Barbara Palaith Newson. Thanks for your helpful critic. I appreciate it a lot. I really needed this kind of critic. You said it right, I should have captured her looks and her attitude. I hope you will not stop helping other newbies like me with your artistic talent and skill. I will remember your tips on my next photo session. THANK YOU SO MUCH :)